Speak Out to Save Lives!
Public Service Awareness
2018-2019 School Year
FBI Pittsburgh H.O.P.E. (Heroin Outreach Prevention and Education) Initiative
Heroin use and the misuse of prescription opioids are increasing in pandemic proportions everywhere, especially here in Western Pennsylvania. Overdose deaths in our area are among one of the highest in the country, and unfortunately, these numbers are only expected to increase.
Recent statistics show that teens in PA between the ages of 15-24 now have a 380% increase in their odds of a fentanyl-related death. This is a public health crisis that knows no demographic barriers, and we must do all that we can to EDUCATE each other about these dangers, and HELP all who are suffering (including friends and family members!)
About the contest
In today’s society, social media is one of the quickest and most efficient ways to raise awareness, especially among teens; so who better to get a message across teens themselves? The FBI Pittsburgh Division’s Community Outreach Program and the FBI Pittsburgh HOPE Initiative has formulated a strategic working group comprised of representatives from federal, state and local law enforcement, education administrators and key community leaders to address solutions to this issue and are focused on reaching all students in Western Pennsylvania. We are striving to formulate proactive solutions through the working group, specifically in Education, Prevention and Awareness methods.
We seek to message the dangerous threat that opioid use poses to the teenage populace by inviting teens in grades 9-12 to form a team, create and submit a 1-3 minute video that focuses on the dangers and consequences of choosing to use opioids.
Please help us Speak Out to Save Lives, on this year’s theme : OPIOID REHABILITATION- WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT? DESTIGMATIZING THE MYTHS BEHIND THE REALITY OF THIS LIFELONG STRUGGLE.
THANK YOU TO THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS FOUNDATION FOR THEIR CONTINUED SUPPORT!
“The Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation is proud to support this important initiative in our schools!”
Please help us Speak Out to Save Lives!!
SIX CHANCES for your team to win in TWO CATEGORIES! (Judges Choice and People’s Choice)
1st: $5000; 10 Tickets to a VIP Party Suite for a Pittsburgh Penguins Game (Date TBD in February 2019); “FBI Agent for a Day” at the FBI Pittsburgh Field Office
2nd: $2500; 5 Tickets to a VIP Party Suite for a Pittsburgh Penguins Game (Date TBD in February 2019)
3rd: $1500; 5 Tickets to a VIP Party Suite for a Pittsburgh Penguins Game (Date TBD in February 2019)
**Prizes sponsored by the Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation. All monetary prizes will be given as a grant from the Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation directly to the winning school district.
Contest Opens: September 10, 2018
Registration Deadline: September 28, 2018
Entry Submission: November 16, 2018
Entries Uploaded to YouTube: December 7, 2018
Deadline for Social Media Score Likes/Shares: December 21, 2018
Winning PSAs announced: January 25, 2019
IMPORTANT NOTE: WINNING VIDEOS WILL NOW BE ANNOUNCED DURING THE WEEK OF JANUARY 28, AS FINAL SCORING IS FINALIZED APPROPRIATELY. PLEASE PARDON THE DELAY!
How to Enter:
- REGISTER! Fill out the TEAM REGISTRATION FORM for School/Individual or Team and notify school designated Teacher Sponsor.
- READ the Official Rules! If you have any questions, please contact us at 412-432-4488.
- Watch the winning videos from last year to become familiar with the project. Research the topic. Think about the dangerous consequences of opioid use, how the effects can be immediate and fatal, even if the user only tries it one time. Think about how fast addiction can happen when using an opioid, and how rehabilitation is a lifelong struggle. Talk to others about what the best way is to tell people how serious a problem this is, and what type of message would be most effective to stop people from taking this risk, and work to fight the stigma and stereotypes that may stop others from being open to seek help.
- CREATE your PSA video! It should be at least one minute long, but no more than 3 minutes. You can be as creative as you’d like within the Official Rules and Guidelines.
- UPLOAD! Teacher Sponsors will upload all videos to YouTube by December 7, 2018.
- LIKE AND SHARE! Ask your Friends and Family to Vote by sharing or liking the YouTube Video! All likes and shares MUST be DIRECTLY FROM THE YOUTUBE SITE POSTING, and will be counted in the final voting tally beginning at 12:00am on December 7, 2018, ending at 11:59pm on December 21, 2018.
Links to relevant forms: